miðvikudagur, janúar 05, 2005

que quer dizer nu em Viking

This story is all over the net now. I have seen it in Hungarian, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, Japanese, English, and Portugese, among other languages. The Daily Times in Pakistan has picked it up. I can no longer find it on the Las Ultimas Noticias site, but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere.

I don't find the idea of 38 women being photographed naked in front of Pablo Neruda's house in Santiago so arresting, truth be told, but I am fascinated by this line:

Photographer Rene Alejandro Rojas took the picture,
called Munvich, which means naked in Viking.


This sentence has been translated and retranslated. If you doubt me, tap 'munvich' into the search engine of your choice and enjoy the show. Should you do this, you will find, as I did, that an album of photographs resides here, labelled thusly:

Tomas de desnudos artísticos hechos en Chile, organizados por Munvich.
They are indeed photos of nekkid people.

There seems also at one point to have been a site www.munvich.com, or at least the Google cache remembers one, but it is not accessible at the time of writing.

At this point I should probably clarify the nature of my fascination. I am not trolling for nudies with a new keyword. I am trying to figure out the origin of this mysterious word munvich. Munvich does not mean naked 'in Viking' or even 'in an ancient Nordic language' if what is meant by either of those terms is Old Norse or anything like it. Finnish is also right out, unless I am greatly mistaken. Estonian might possibly have a word resembling this one, but and here we are really pushing the boundaries of both vikingness and the ancient. For the moment, I am stumped.

I don't know how Pablo Neruda feels about this all, but I can't help thinking that José Luís Borges would have been rather disappointed.


Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð