fimmtudagur, júní 02, 2005

hydrophobia

Terrible thirst. It's only the heat and dust, I know, exacerbated by the fits of sneezing brought on by that dust. I pace, drink water by the pint, and sniffle into handkerchiefs. I think I remember from somewhere that thirst is a symptom of rabies, and that hydrophobia is another name for that disease, and that this combination has always confused me. I have allergies, dust, and a dislike for hot weather, not rabies, I know, but I also have whatever mania makes one look up words even when wracked by thirst and convulsive sneezing, and so I consult the Merck manual.

There I learn that rabies causes

excruciatingly painful spasms of the laryngeal and pharyngeal muscles. The spasms, which result from reflex irritability of the deglutition and respiration centers, are easily precipitated (eg, by a slight breeze or an attempt to drink water). As a result, the patient cannot drink, although thirst is great (hence, hydrophobia).

I am the wiser, if no less thirsty. Rabid I am not, but reflex irritibility of the nasal passages keeps me from ingesting fluids as rapidly as I would like, so that much I have in common with the suffering hydrophobic.

Perhaps I too should call on the patroness and protectress against this disease (as well as storms), St. Walburga. I am a month late for her feast. I hope she does not mind.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð