föstudagur, júní 17, 2005

gigantes

In those days, giants walked the earth. That was before the flood, of course, since it was the deluge that did them all in. I think of giants today because, surveying the growing henges of boxes, I feel like a lowly peasant beholding Dún Aengus, Hadrian's wall, Offa's dike, the Danevirke and thinking (even if I knew the actual history of the matter) that surely giants had been at work at building these things. Only giants would have been strong enough to move such huge amounts of stone and earth to their present locations. Presumably, only giants would be able to move them off again, to a new place, should that be desirable.

This occurs to me, of course, because this is the imminent task: moving the henges. All is damp after today's unseasonal deluge. I do not imagine there are any giants at all left who might lend a hand.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð