mánudagur, mars 21, 2005

hvað í svartasta

Stumbling through my pocket Latin dictionary on entirely other business, I find a word new to me:
ater - black, dead black, dark, gloomy, eerie, unlucky or unfortunate.

Apparently it contrasts with niger, which apparently meant glossy black, though its other associations were comparable to those of ater. I had had no idea this word ater existed, never mind that the Latin color vocabulary distinguished matte and glossy black on the level of the lexicon. I am now casting my eyes about the room. The leather jacket is niger, I think, the boots, certainly so, but the radio speakers ater like the desk chair cushion, the heap of sweaters, and the dripping umbrella. And to think! My wardrobe seems suddenly 200% more colorful than before I learned this useful word.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð