fimmtudagur, maí 12, 2005

presentasjon

Introductions are so awkward. I tend to put them off until the last possible minute if I cannot avoid them entirely. Part of the awkwardness stems, I think, from my knowing too much about everyone involved. What would be appropriate to bring out and lay down as that bridge to communication, the point of entry? Really I most prefer to duck away on some imagined errand at the crucial moment and allow the parties in question to sort it all out on their own. It's always pleasant to return to their already having done so, now moved on to smiling and conversing.

I'm tempted to do that now. I could pop out for a scoop of icecream and wait, looking at my watch, for things to fall out in my absence. I imagine chapter I being too shy to put out a hand, but chapter II is a more confident type, sure to start things off, and chapter V is too rough-hewn in all ways for any shyness, almost gruff, really, but makes up for polish with well-meaning directness. Chapters III and IV would allow themselves to be drawn out, and (I happen to know) they all of them have so much in common that they'd be sure to find a suitable subject in no time. No more than a quarter of an hour, I figure, and I could turn the key in the lock and enter to find all already on good terms, chatting and laughing at each other's jokes, and no further introduction necessary.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð