föstudagur, maí 20, 2005

orðin

I hope I do not seem, in the wake of the last post, the enemy of nýyrði. I am anything but. The coining of new and useful words is a noble pursuit, an íþrótt in the old sense. The yrði part of the Háfrónska project is one I can get behind; it's the hreinsun I have trouble with.

Also in the wake of the last post I should say that sæla is a perfectly good alternative to blessa (though I personally would miss saying sæll og blessaður, perhaps I am longwinded). Due credit should go to the Háfrónska folk, who note this on their list of High Fronian Christian Terminology. Further, I offer congratulations on the coining of Gamla Sáttmálsbók for Old Testament. I don't think this could ever fly, as it is too confusing in the context of Icelandic history, but the implicit equation of Covenant with Sáttmál and thus Jehovah with the ancient kings of Norway produces a pleasurable sensation of unexpected connection -- like a good joke, and I do not mean that to be niðrandi.

On the same list, for Christendom or Christianity, in standard Icelandic kristindómur, Timbur-Helgi offers Sauðerni. How to render that back into English .... It's really hard to say. But it's brilliant.

Til hamingju: hreinasta snilld, bara.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð