mánudagur, nóvember 08, 2004

og þó ...

Today Wm. Safire took up the wee word albeit in the New York Times Magazine column "On language."

Comparing albeit to synonyms though and although, he remarks that the old intensifying prefix al- has lost the strength it had had centuries ago, with the result that though and although differ only in register (although is slightly more formal, he says) and not in degree.

I beg to differ. In my speech, at least, although has always been a sharper contrastive than though. Though is a throwaway, an in-passing concessive nod to something a little to the side of what I'm actually talking about. The stronger version with the prefix is the one I use to signal the new direction my line of thought is about to take, as when, after ranting in one direction for a while, making a point, and pausing to let it sink in and sipping my coffee, I pipe back up with an introductory "Although ... "

But is this perhaps the Icelandic part of my head speaking? Certainly al- remains an intensifier in Icelandic, and alfagur is more fair than fagur alone, and so I am bound to hear although as if it were a stronger form of though or þó, cognate to the non-existent *alþó.

Or is the influence metrical rather than etymological? The phrase "Og þó ... " is used exactly as I use although as described above, as the introduction to a new and contrastive topic in the conversation.

Still, I don't think this is all due to Icelandic in my case, though I concede there may be an element of interference at work. (See how that works?)


Safire also unpacks albeit into the phrase "all though it be that." I raised an eyebrow at this, because I have always analyzed the word differently, as a contraction of the phrase "although it be."

[Here a brief pause in which it is noted that in either case the archaic English subjunctive be is right in line after the though just like it would be in Icelandic, whether modern or medieval: þó það sé, where is the present subjunctive of vera, to be. Neat.]

Anyway, the seemingly subtle distinction between "although it be that" and "although it be" matters because the "it" in the latter may refer back to some element in the preceding clause, whereas the "it" in Safire's version is freestanding and has no antecedent. English grammar being what it is, pronouns and their antecedents need only agree in number. What is my point? Well, I know myself to have come out with constructions like:


Those people are a lot of fun, albethey loud and opinionated.

I am not sure I have ever heard anyone else say albethey. I know I have never seen it in traditional print media or tried to write it myself, and seeing my attempt to spell it for the first time here I cannot deny a certain degree of embarrassment. It looks terrible. But I know that I say it, and upon reflection I know that it stems from an unconscious understanding of the "it" in albeit as a (singular) pronoun referring back to the (singular) topic of the preceding clause. If the topic is plural, well then the pronoun must be as well.

Furthermore, a quick Google search reveals that I am not alone in my use of the form albethey. It seems to be all over the net. Logic suggests that the form albewe should be possible, but I find only one use via Google, and the pronoun antecedent is a little unclear. *Albeyou and *albeya'll I find not at all.

The evidence from the web points to at least two analyses of the term albeit being current today, mine and Safire's, and his is really that of the 1965 revision of Fowler's Modern Usage. Apparently Chaucer (who used albeit) also used alwereitso, which looks to have been a past tense version of albeit [just as Icelandic þó það væri corresponds to þó það sé]. The "so" in that word suggests an underlying form more like Safire's / Fowler's expansion than like mine, and so perhaps today's less standard forms like albethey reflect a newer, unetymological analysis of albeit, but they are nonetheless amusing for all that.

3 ummæli:

Nafnlaus sagði...

I have the same issue with parallel structure/agreement when the antecedent is plural. Thanks for your input

Unknown sagði...

Here lays an enquiry which I ponder: need be albeit or albethey or alwereitso etc. referring to an antecedent? Can it not be used in a construction whereby it functions rather as the 'subject' of its clause, albeit curious in form?

My sentence I was contemplating using in my English paper was,
"…Carl and I would walk at the back of the line en route to lunch or gym or wherever else, despite the ordinary assignment by room number (with Rm.1 leading) for the other residents, albethey simple as the few routes are."
or does the they in albethey (despite a clear structure) still seem to be reffering to the antecedent '[the other ]residents', suggesting an insult upon them as indicated by the adjective simple?

sterna sagði...

I'll say this: I would scrawl a big red circle around albethey in that sentence if I saw it in a paper. Whether or not the form is standard, it can only refer back to an antecedent. I can't follow the sentence as written at all. Do you mean "though the few routes were simple"?

The inquiry -- with an "i" on this side of the Atlantic -- also lies, not lays.

I hope that's your last essay of the year. A happy holiday to you.

 
Hvaðan þið eruð