fimmtudagur, ágúst 25, 2005

skákfylgja

I saw Bobby Fischer on Hverfisgata the other night.

This was a strange experience. I grew up in a looking for Bobby Fischer world. Not that I personally was looking for him, not being a dedicated chess player. But the world was a certain way, Fischer was out there somewhere as a kind of mysterious guardian spirit of chess, and no one knew just where.

Now it seems we are in a rakst á Bobby Fischer á Hverfisgötu world.

It may help to know that Hverfisgata is the dope and hash street, the place to get stabbed over drugs if you're looking to do that sort of thing in Reykjavík (and in which case it is avisable to make a reservation). Seeing Bobby there, I did not recognize him until he was pointed out to me. He looked like every other slightly seedy fellow on Hverfisgata.

Mind you, the National Theater (booming 1930s architecture, 50% national romanticism and 50% fascistic federalism) is there too, and what used to be the library, now the Culture House (Þjóðmenningarhúsið), as well as a lovely older wood-frame building in which now resides the increasingly international International House (Alþjóðahúsið). There are basalt pillars set into the street between them. I was heading down towards Lækjargata and Bobby was coming up.

Of course, I grew up in a Geysislaus world as well, a world in which Geysir no longer erupted, only his little brother Strokkur. Strokkur I've seen go off many times, but Geysir never. Judging from old prints and travel descriptions, it was very impressive. Then in 2000 the earthquake hit on 17. July, while everyone was outside drinking the health of the nation, and Geysir began erupting again. Not often and not reliably, but still. Astonishing. It was as if an island full of dinosaurs had been discovered. Geysir að gjósa aftur! Better than coelocanths.

I am less thrilled about Mr. Fischer. I think he was maybe a better guardian spirit than anything. We already have sérvitringar on Hverfisgata.

1 ummæli:

Chris Sellers sagði...

Perhaps I was too young for the Fischer mystique. I grew up in a "You can't move your knight there, Honey" world. So Fischer's genius is a bit abstract to me -- especially seeing how his genius curdled, became psychosis.

I suppose every village needs an idiot, and now Reykjavík has its. One hopes he'll eventually grow to look the part: We'll find him leaning against the International House, his body sunken like a pothole, while he slurs and rants against left-handed people: "They don't know what we're doing and we don't know what they're doing! But I tell you it's something sneaky!"

 
Hvaðan þið eruð