föstudagur, febrúar 11, 2005

slattern moon

Slender, slender new moon tonight -- white and sharp like a cat's claw I found between the floorboards once -- but she is round-heeled: she lies on her back.

I had had a phrase wedged in my memory about the "new moon lying on her back," and seeing tonight's luxuriously tipped moon I finally looked to see where I had those words from. Of course it turns out that I am thinking of an African new moon, Karen Blixen's moon over the Kenyan coffee plantation.

That moon must (logic dictates) have been even more slatternly than this one for being in a more southern sky. The angle of her reclining must have struck the Danish Baroness Blixen; she would have been used to more upstanding northern crescents. I know I heard that phrase long before I thought much of Denmark to the north or Africa to the south. Now I live somewhere else and this moon makes me think of both Denmark and Kenya.

Engin ummæli:

 
Hvaðan þið eruð